When you are trying to deploy the distributed systems such as Hadoop(HDFS, HBase, Zookeeper, Hive etc), or block chain systems (Bitcoind, Ethereum, Hyperledger, EOS etc). It’s very expensive to purchase the cloud infrastructure, and usually at the POC stage, you don’t really need those systems to test the performance, because you only want to see these distributed components talking and working. In this case, you will need to deploy a local “cluster” using the virtual machine technologies. Of course, docker is a good alternative, which we will discuss in a separate blog. FYI, for Pros and Cons of using Docker versus VMs, you can refer to this link:
Let’s take the VMWare fusion + ubuntu for example.
1. Firstly you need to download the software and install on your local machine.
2. And find a ubuntu ISO to download using such a link:
3. Open vmware fusion and try to add a new image
4. Drag the image into the box and configure some features of the OS and start installing
5. After installation and login, you need to install ssh server
sudo apt install openssh-server